Playing Games and Learning About < new VOA < 화상영어 전화영어 1위 매드포스터디 (159주간 랭키닷컴 1위)

매드포스터디 >  >
HOME > 커뮤니티 > VOA 따라잡기

작성일 : 16-05-11 09:06

Playing Games and Learning About Economics

“Today, what we have planned for you guys is money markets, and then playing a game called Mr. Big Shots. So, we’ll start off today’s class….”

Just outside Washington, D.C., children with an interest in economics now have a place to learn about it.

They can join a club called Edunomics. The group meets once a week at Farmwell Station Middle School in Ashburn, Virginia.

Edunomics was the idea of two high school students who once studied at the middle school.

Sahith Malyala and Sahil Yedulla visit Farmwell Station once a week to teach economics to interested students. The high school seniors began studying economics in high school.

The two say they work with the children not for credit, but to give back to the local community.

Sahil Yedulla says they decided to give children a chance to explore a subject they enjoy.

“I got a message from Sahith, he was like, ‘Hey you want to start an economics club?’ I was like, ‘You know what, why not?’”

Sahith Malyala says there were many reasons for launching the club last year. He says middle schoolers have plenty of chances to learn about science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Educators use the name STEM when talking about the four subjects.

“They have a lot of STEM-related opportunities, but we wanted to do economics because we’re both interested in that. And there wasn’t that many economic-related organizations or clubs out there.”

Neighbors and childhood friends took their idea for Edunomics to David Stephenson, who teaches at the Farmwell Station Middle School.

“I’m deeply touched. I usually get visitors to come back and see me and say ‘hi.’ I have never had students come back and say this is what I want to do. I thought it was a fantastic idea.”

Stephenson helped the high schoolers find a space to hold the weekly classes. Yedulla says he also showed them how to be good teachers.

“Mr. Stephenson’s help cannot be put in words. He helped us so much with this club. I remember like, after the first lesson, he was like, ‘maybe just try to slow down a little bit, just like ease into it.’”

Malyala says simplifying economics, financing and business, and making it fun is the secret to getting younger students interested.

“Each week, we would have like a 5- to 10-minute lecture on a new topic. Then after that, we would really hit hard on making sure they understood it through an interactive game.”

These games help demonstrate the real world uses of the economic theories.

Club member Anika Kumar finds studying economics fun and useful.

“If you want to start your business, then you need to know all about economics and money .”

David Stephenson says Edunomics has been profitable for everyone involved. Older students learn to become leaders and bring change to others’ lives. Middle schoolers are more open when high schoolers teach them.

Next year, the high schoolers will be attending college. But David Stephenson says the club will continue, giving other students a chance to teach and learn.
interactive 상호적인 / demonstrate 증거를 들어가며 보여주다
게임으로 경제학 배우기
“오늘 여러분들을 위해 준비한 것은 금융시장입니다. 그다음 ‘미스터 빅샷(Mr. Big Shots)’이라는 게임을 하게 될 겁니다. 자, 이제 수업을 시작해 볼까요...”

워싱턴 바로 외곽에 경제학에 흥미가 있는 아이들을 위한 장소가 있다.

아이들은 에듀노믹스라는 클럽에 가입할 수 있다. 이 클럽은 버지니아 주 애쉬번의 팜웰스테이션 중학교에서 매 주 한 번씩 열린다.

에듀노믹스는 이 중학교를 졸업한 두 명의 고등학생이 만든 클럽이었다.

사힛 말리얄랴(Sahith Malyala)와 사힐 예둘라(Sahil Yedulla)는 일주일에 한 번씩 경제학에 관심이 있는 학생들을 가르치기 위해 팜웰스테이션을 방문한다. 이 선배들은 고등학교에서 경제학을 공부하기 시작했다.

두 사람은 학점 때문이 아니라, 지역사회에 자신들이 배운 것을 돌려주기 위해 아이들을 가르친다고 말한다.

사힐 예둘라는 아이들이 좋아하는 과목을 탐구할 기회를 주고 싶었다고 한다.

“사힛한테 메시지를 받았어요, ‘경제학 클럽을 만들까?’라고 하길래 제가 ‘음, 그럴까?’ 라고 했죠.”

사힛 말리얄라는 작년에 이 클럽을 만들게 된 데는 여러 이유가 있었다고 한다. 중학생들이 과학, 기술, 공학, 수학에 대해서는 배울 기회가 많다고 한다. 이 네 과목을 줄여서 교육자들은 STEM이라는 이름을 사용한다.

“중학생들은 STEM과 관련된 기회는 많아요. 저희는 경제학에 관심이 있기 때문에 공부하고 싶었어요. 경제학 관련 모임이나 클럽은 별로 많지 않거든요.”

두 친구의 이웃이자, 어렸을 적 친구들이 에듀노믹스에 대한 아이디어를 팜웰스테이션의 데이비드 스티븐슨(David Stephenson) 교사에게 가져갔다.

“매우 감동적이었습니다. 보통 졸업하고 들러서 ‘안녕하세요’하고 인사하러 오는 아이들은 있습니다. 제게 와서 ‘이것을 하고 싶습니다’라고 말한 졸업생은 처음입니다. 매우 훌륭한 계획이라고 생각했습니다.”

스티븐슨은 고등학생들이 주마다 수업을 열 수 있도록 장소 찾는 것을 도왔다. 예둘라는 스티븐슨이 좋은 선생님이 되는 법도 가르쳐 주었다고 말한다.

“스티븐슨 선생님의 도움은 일일이 말로 표현할 수가 없습니다. 이 클럽을 정말 많이 도와주셨어요. 첫 수업 후, 선생님께서 ‘조금만 천천히 하면 더 좋을 것 같구나. 조금 더 편안하게 말이야.’라고 하셨던 말씀이 기억나요.”

말리얄라는 경제학, 금융 및 경영을 간결하고 재미있게 만드는 것이 어린 학생들의 흥미를 유발하는 비밀이라고 밝힌다.

“매주, 저희는 5~10분 동안 새로운 주제에 관해 설명합니다. 그런 다음, 상호적인 게임을 하며 아이들의 이해를 돕기 위해 열심히 노력합니다.”

이 게임은 경제이론이 실생활에서 사용되는 방법을 익히는 데 도움이 된다.

클럽 멤버인 아니카 쿠마(Anika Kumar)는 경제학 공부가 재미도 있고 유용하다고 생각한다.

“사업을 하고 싶다면, 경제학이나 돈에 대한 모든 것을 알아야 합니다.”

데이비드 스티븐슨은 에듀노믹스가 모든 멤버에게 유익하다고 말한다. 학년이 높은 학생들은 리더가 되고, 다른 이들의 삶에 변화를 가져다주는 법을 배운다. 중학생들은 고등학생들이 가르칠 때 더욱 수용적이다.

다음 해 고등학생들은 대학교에 진학할 것이다. 하지만 데이비드 스티븐슨은 이 클럽이 가르치고 배우는 기회를 제공하며 앞으로도 계속 열릴 것이라고 전한다.
기사출력
MP3 다운로드

Total 821
번호 제   목 글쓴이 날짜 조회
821 Mummies Contain Clues to Colon… sim 05-12 1694
820 Playing Games and Learning Abo… sim 05-11 1748
819 Report Says Americans Less Hap… sim 05-10 1555
818 Vietnam Puts Blogger on Trial … sim 05-09 1481
817 Education Controversy in Hong … sim 05-09 1624
816 Obama, Castro Disagree on Huma… sim 05-04 1557
815 Islamic State Holds Iraqi Vill… sim 05-03 1455
814 Brazil’s President Faces Polit… sim 05-02 1347